Not on one strand are all life's jewels strung

Monday, October 6, 2008
Quote by William Morris.

I've reached that point in "healing" from a past relationship where certain items have lost their sentimental value. I have a little book where I glued all our ticket stubs, programs... Basically anything made out of paper that represented some memory. I was with my ex-boyfriend for three years, so there were quite a few things that made it into the book. I haven't done so yet, but I feel like I could throw it away and not regret it. It's definitely not making it to the next place I move. When we broke up, we didn't have to exchange a lot of each others' things; most were either gifts or not worth asking for. I'd gotten rid of the majority of things I still had when I moved a few months ago.

Then there's the ring. It wasn't an engagement ring or anything, but it's worth a couple hundred dollars. Part of me feels that I should keep it, however, I don't wear it (probably never will) and I'm a broke college student! Something worth that much that's just sitting in my jewelry box is pretty tempting. My practical dilemma is that I don't know where I should take it to get the most money back. My emotional dilemma is that I feel sort of like I'm betraying my ex-boyfriend if I sell it. I know he wouldn't want it back, but there is a lot of history tied to that little piece of jewelry. I still occasionally experience a sort of wistful sadness when I think about what we had and lost. I know my current boyfriend and our relationship are infinitely better for me than what I had before; it's just hard to make decisions about things that were once so emotionally important. Any advice?

No comments: