First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win

Monday, October 20, 2008
Quote by Mahatma Gandhi.

Over the weekend I went to a hockey game with D, his brothers, and his brother’s wife, Trish. The last time I saw her we were at her house for her son’s birthday party. She is the type of person who definitely will not go out of her way to talk to you, so if you want to have a conversation with her you have to initiate it and try extremely hard to keep it going. So when we were at their house for the party, I tried to start a conversation with her about three times (which all fizzled out) and decided to stop trying at all. I don’t like wasting my time on people who feel like they should get extra special treatment for whatever reason. This time, I decided to see if she would initiate any kind of conversation.

Trish didn’t say one word to me the entire time and she never even looked at me. It was like I didn’t exist.

It was the most uncomfortable seven hours I have ever spent with a group of people. After the game, we went to D’s friend Ian’s house. Over the course of the evening, she talked to D, Jason (her husband), Shaun (her other brother-in-law), Ray (a friend of Jason’s we met at the game), Ian, and Ian’s son. In other words, everyone we came into contact with except me. It made me feel awesome.

I’m sort of surprised I’m still pretty bothered by the whole thing. D doesn’t think it’s a big deal because “that’s just how she is,” but I’m not used to people being that rude to me. I’m sure I could be “the bigger person” in this case but how hard am I supposed to try? I honestly don’t want to put myself in a social situation with her unless I absolutely have to, but that will sometimes mean choosing to be away from D when I could just as easily choose to be with him. Besides enlisting my friends to come with me to everything, I can’t really think of how to make this better. Maybe one day I’ll grow a pair and tell her what I think of her. Because that will go over great…

This is funny: Jason was drunk almost the entire time and at one point he lifted up his shirt for no reason, and then reached over as though he was going to lift up mine with a look on his face that can best be described as “impish.” After that, he made a comment about the time I took a picture of him holding a big fish he caught, but the way he said it made it sound like a synonym for his penis. Finally, when we got out of the car at Shaun’s house at the end of the night, he put his arm around me and said he wished he was going home with D and I. So looking back, maybe Trish doesn’t like me a whole lot because her husband does.

No comments: