Those things that hurt, instruct

Friday, August 8, 2008
Quote by Benjamin Franklin.

I was minding my own business in Kroger yesterday, in a little bit of a hurry to get home. I was cruising pretty quickly down the the frozen foods section to get to the registers. I didn't notice a small puddle on the floor until my left flip-flop slid way out in front of me, forcing me to go down pretty hard on my right knee. First of all, I hate falling and I hate the idea of falling and I hate the feeling of falling. It just seems really embarrassing and to tell the story to other people later makes you sound like your 93 and you didn't use your walker correctly. Ok, so I sort of fell/slipped but I didn't spill anything out of my purse or my grocery basket or anything, so I was sort of impressed with my "natural" grace and ability not to completely humiliate myself. However, my knee hurt really really bad because I already had a scab on it from another incident (not worth mentioning here, haha). I stood up and there was blood on the floor and blood dripping down my leg. Of course I had no tissues in my purse so I was trying to use my grocery list to mop up the majority of it, which basically just smeared it all over my leg. I hobbled to the checkout and informed the person behind the register that there was water in the isle and she sent someone to clean it up. She rang up all my items and then my grocery list stopped being an even passable tissue so I asked for paper towel, which was not a whole lot better since it was the brown elementary school stuff that does not dry anything. So I eventually got myself home and all bandaged up and then went to go babysit.

The little girl I babysit is a little over 2 1/2 and has her days when she's awful but also her days when she's really cute. After her nap and her snack, she was zooming around and noticed that I had a Band-Aid on my knee and the rest of the old scab (the part that didn't explode all over Kroger) visible above the Band-Aid. She's sort of dramatic sometimes so she gasped and said, "You got a boo boo! That's terrible! Here, I kiss it and it feel better!" So she kissed it and asked if it felt better, then offered me her juice and said drinking it would make me feel better, and then informed me that I needed a Band-Aid and some cream (I'm assuming antibacterial cream or something that her mom puts on her boo boos.) Adorable. And pretty much almost worth getting hurt.

1 comment:

Lauryn said...

Oh my goodness, that's so cute.

And I think the way you got your knee "injury" is totally blog-worthy! hehe.