The novel is more of a whisper, whereas the stage is a shout

Saturday, September 27, 2008
Quote by Robert Holman.

I "traveled" to the town where I grew up (about an hour away from where I live now) to go see a good friend of mine play the female lead in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. This was good for two reasons: 1) I got to go see an entertaining stage production which I haven't done in a while and 2) I got to spend some time with my brother who I don't get to see often enough. The play was really good, though my brother said the movie (which I will likely not see) was awesome but very gory. I get a little squeamish with movies like that.

I loved having the chance to catch up with my brother in person. Lately, we've been doing really well communicating via text message, MySpace and email, but nothing beats face-to-face interaction. I also think it's cool that he's totally up for going to see a musical. He can fix cars (plus tons of other stuff), plays the drums, works as a bicycle mechanic, and is going to school for graphic design, just to scratch the surface. And he'll willingly go see a musical with his sister! Talk about versatile! I'm definitely impressed with the adult he has become. If you can't tell by my gushing, I'm his older sister and I think he's awesome. All these feelings are especially influenced by the fact that we ran into his ex-girlfriend (a recent breakup) and the look on her face when she saw us was pretty much a cross between "Oh shit" and panic. Kind of funny, considering she's the one who broke up with him and I know he was really hurt by the whole thing. Now he's being mature and trying to deal with things in an adult way (by actually being pleasant and greeting her when they run into each other) and she's furious because he removed her from the number one friend position on his MySpace page. Really? Oh, high school realtionships. I know some couples are adult and connected enough to grow and change together regardless of when they met, but I personally am glad I moved on from my first serious relationship that started in high school. The moral of the story is that there is someone out there who is right for you. Not, "Yeah, I can deal with the stuff I don't like," but "This person is so perfect for me that he/she helps me be the best person I can be." Don't settle for anything less!

1 comment:

Lauryn said...

Aww, such a sweet post Lindsey. So true! I love Austin, and I don't even know the kid that well. He's such a good brother. Good for him for being so mature with it all.